Said It, Meant It

Releasing the Inner Bitch in All of Us

Thursday, September 14, 2006

They Tryin’ To Catch Me Ridin’ Dirty, Y’all

On my drive home from another pleasant yet uneventful day at my enjoyable yet unchallenging job, I was lost in a meditative state as I regarded the petulant sky, speckled gray and blue like the gloomiest of robin’s eggs.

I was chomping on a jawful of wintergreen and nodding along to Buttons when I glanced in my rearview. Jeez, I thought with a supreme eye roll, that a-hole behind me needs to back up off Mama’s ass.

Said a-hole clung to my bumper like a groupie on JT’s leather-clad elbow down my remaining few miles of highway and off onto my exit. As we sat silently at a stoplight (Buttons still popping), I inspected this character in my mirror.

Hmmm, that’s a lot of antennas, I thought. Lots of doodads on the console, too. And is that … a laptop on the dash? Hey, why is he putting on a wide-brimmed chapeau resembling a police hat?

That’s right. I got pulled over on an uber-active thoroughfare during downtown rush hour traffic. I’m the luckiest girl in the world!

As Officer Friendly sauntered up to my car, I decided to put my best foot forward. I turned down Buttons (much to my chagrin) and stuck my head out of my open window, trilling “Hi!” at him like a deranged songbird. Judging by his noticeable flinch, he’s not much of a chatter.

We exchanged pleasantries – well, mostly just “License and registration, please,” but you could tell he TOTALLY got me. “Sure,” I all but squealed, still intent on charming my way out of a ticket. I snapped open my wallet and retrieved my license with a photo taken so long ago that it features my fetching, Charlize-Theron-in-Mighty-Joe-Young hairdo that in no way resembles my current Shakira-in-her-Whenever, Wherever-days look.

I leaned down and pulled open the glovebox to obtain my registration, and wonder of wonders, a tampon rolls out.

Well, this is going swimmingly.

I handed over the paper, careful not to make eye contact with the tampon. Then the officer asked innocently, “So, which address is correct – the one on your license or the one on your registration?” I read out my current address with an impatient wave of my hand, not remembering which item is more up-to-date. “That address isn’t on either of these, ma’am.”

Oh, effing swell.

He retreated to his car to write my ticket as I sat wallowing in my inability to be cute and charming enough to weasel out of a well-deserved ticket. I watched as half of the city’s government workers rolled past me, rubbernecking to get a look at my criminal mug. The only thing that would have made it even more mortifying is if A) an ex-boyfriend, B) my boss, or C) my crazy, drunken ex-friend from college would have driven by, honked, and thrown a milkshake at me.

He came back, ticket in hand (sans handcuffs, though, so bully for me), reporting that the reason for my citation was that I had failed to renew my license plates when they expired two months prior. One can only assume my reminder for this was sent to my old address. Oops. I resisted the urge to thwack my palm into my forehead, as I’ve gotten busted for this little blunder before.

I leave you with this moral message: Always alert the damn DMV when you move, kids. Oh, and don’t try to sweet talk an unresponsive cop unless you’re really, REALLY cute. Or Paris Hilton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home