Said It, Meant It

Releasing the Inner Bitch in All of Us

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Dr. Phil Says, "Eat More Cinnamon Toast"

“You are livin’ right, girl.”

This adorable phrase was uttered to me this morning by a co-worker as I stood in her cube on my way to the kitchen, Hot Pocket in hand. Seemed like a small thing at the time, but it has stuck with me throughout the day.

Here’s why: The reason said co-worker looked up at me from her mint green, lumbar-supporting desk chair and said these kind, almost wistful words with such sincerity had to do with the plastic baggie I was clutching in my other, non-Hot Pocket hand. No, don’t get excited; it’s nothing really juicy.

I was holding two slices of brown sugar-cinnamon toast. That’s all. Picked up on a whim at the grocery store, mostly because the loaf was on sale, and hell, who couldn’t use more delicious breakfast items in their life?

“I never think to get nice things like that for myself.”

I walked to the kitchen and toasted them, and the whole room filled up with that smell you all remember from when you were a kid, like today would be special because you were getting dessert for breakfast. (I must point out that the reason the scent permeated the whole kitchen is due to a new rule at my office that the kitchen door must stay closed at all times so "food smells don’t leak into the hallway." Odd, right? But I digress.)

As I sat there enveloped by the sweet, sweet delish-ery, I thought about the little things that people don’t do for themselves for the silliest reasons. Too many calories. I already have enough ass fat. It’s almost bikini season (hah! Can’t use that one anymore).

So next time you’re at the grocery store, buy a loaf of raisin bread, a little brie, or a bottle of champagne. Because I think that if we treated ourselves like that more often, we’d all be livin’ right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home